Friday, February 24, 2012

Scripture Journal Tutorial: Part 3- Studying by Topics



There are 2 ways to do a Topics Scripture Journal. You can either pick topics beforehand and list them alphabetically and then fill the appropriate page out when you study, or you can gather topics as you do your chapter studies. To do the latter:

IN THE SCRIPTURES-

As you are studying the scriptures, look past the story and find the principle(s) being taught. Here I am using an example of Faith.

IN YOUR CHAPTERS JOURNAL-
In my chapter study, I write Faith down as a doctrine or principle I found and what I learned from it. You may have to zoom the picture to see but in the last column you can see a spot to list what page in your TOPICS journal you have expanded on the subject.


IN YOUR TOPICS JOURNAL-
Similar to the template I made for my chapters journal, I made one for my topics journal as well. You don't have to have these to make the journals, I just like how it keeps everything organized. I have many pages where I don't use this template and still love them. But I want to share with you the headings so that it can help you with your studying. However you decide to put it in your journal is up to you.


The first page I document the definition of the doctrine, list scriptures I have looked up on that topic, and list any quotes that I love about that topic. Here are some more upclose pictures of this page. Hopefully it will give you a better idea.

definition of the topic

Scriptures I looked up and what they taught
favorite quotes

On the second page is where I put my personal thoughts and insights. Sometimes this is a journal entry. In this case it is a diagram I made with scrapbook paper outlining the parable of faith as a seed as it is described in Alma 32.


The final step is to go back to your chapters journal and reference what page these are on your topics journal,


and then again in your scriptures. (The purple pen marks mine- journal volume: pages)




Pin It
If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to One of a Kind Gifts here!

4 comments:

  1. Your journal pages are beautiful! What program did you use to create them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I use Photoshop to create them. I am about to post some journal templates you can purchase and the character analysis pages are also for sale as well if you don't have a program to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so excellent! I need to learn Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to make the topic journal page available for purchase? I really like the idea of exploring topics as well as chapters!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails