Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Scripture Journal Tutorial: Part 2- Studying By Chapters


As I mentioned before, I have two journals- one that is a chapter by chapter study,
Title Page
and the other is for Topic based study. Each of my journals has a table of contents that is blank so I can fill it in as I go along. (Template available in the Chapters Kit in the store).
Topic Journal Table of Contents
I start out reading a chapter of scripture and I fill out a form with the following categories:
  • Book name and title
  • Other Scriptures I looked up and what I learned from them
  • People in this chapter, what I learned from them, and other journals I have mentioned them (This is for any character analysis I may do in a different journal)
  • Words I looked up the definitions to, what verse its found in, and what it means
  • Questions I asked myself
  • Doctrines/principles I found within the chapter and what I learned from them, and any reference to other journals I mentioned those doctrines.
Then I take those doctrines/principles and create a page for them in my topics journal. I will write more about that later. Then I will add any personal insights of my own on the next page with reference to the verse.

As I mentioned you can download all these templates in the store, however if you would like to purchase a bound journal with pages predesigned, check out Shannon's at The Red Headed Hostess as she has some for sale which is where I got all the inspiration for mine. I just added a few things to mine such as a place to put the date for your personal journal entries section, different fonts, and some typography images that I love. 

In between these pages I have some other types of pages such as maps, character analysis's, genealogy charts, pictures, etc. For example, I took the map you can download for free here, added specific locations mentioned in the BOM using photoshop, printed it out, colored it in with colored pencils, wiped some Tim Holtz stain on it, wrinkled it all up and then sewed the path in red. I love it. Now as I am reading about each location I am adding some notes to it such as distances, duration of journeys, etc.
Lehi's journey in the wilderness
Then I am learning about each spot individually. I am looking up candidate locations present day. This really helps the Book of Mormon come alive for me. It makes me feel like I am there, feeling the blazing heat of the desert on my back, watching them set up their campground tents and trying to raise a family in this place. Here is a page about the Valley of Lemuel, with photos of a hypothetical cove researchers believe was the original valley of Lemuel and River of Laman.
Here are a few examples of character analysis's:
Lehi

Eve

Adam
Nephi
I try to attach my favorite picture of that person. I look up scriptures where that person's name is mentioned, and as I go through the chapters write down anything I have learned from them. I do a search on lds.org and depending on the person, sometimes there are entire talks written about them. In that case I may attach quotes that I like, more historical facts if there are any, personality traits, physical descriptions, important life events, what they have taught me, etc.

Then I go through the chapter of scripture that I read and mark everything in one color (I chose purple) and reference it to my scripture journal by volume:page number(s). This way when I read it again or any of my children/posterity read it, they will know where they can reference additional information that I have studied or journaled about.


Next I will show you a little bit of my Topics Journal so you can get the whole picture. 

Enjoy!
Aimee

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to One of a Kind Gifts here!

23 comments:

  1. Your journal is beautiful! What a treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What did you use for a journal? Did you print the pages and assemble or use a store bought journal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I bought a coptic journal set from Etsy.Then I created my templates in photoshop (You can purchase some of them in our store) and I printed them out, filled them in, and glued them inside my journal. This way I don't always have to use the templates if I want to do a more artsy page but when I want the structure to organize my thoughts I have it. When I am done with the journal I will bind it. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just super creative. Loving this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you email me the template for the facts page you designed? It was on here the other day and now I can't seem to find it. Thank You!
    zaneandshae@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, I had to remove it because of copyright issues. Its very similar to the ones The Red Headed Hostess uses in her books, and although I made my own version, its still not okay for me to sell them. I wish I could. I put it up as a freebie but that turned out to still not be ok. So its up there for ideas only I guess.

      Delete
  6. Hi Aimee! I love the way you create your scripture journals. I'm wondering if there is a way to purchase your chapter by chapter scripture journal template? I didn't see it in the store. I'm very interested in using it in my personal study! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, I had to remove it because of copyright issues. Its very similar to the ones The Red Headed Hostess uses in her books, and although I made my own version, its still not okay for me to sell them. I wish I could. I put it up as a freebie but that turned out to still not be ok. So its up there for ideas only I guess.

      Delete
  7. This is brilliant! Very inspiring for me to do better at scripture study! Thank you so very much! On average how long do you spend studying and putting together your scripture journal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I like to work on my journals when my toddler is taking a nap. But it varies greatly. The idea is that it is a SLOW way of studying which means, you don't need to increase your normal study time to do this. If you only study for 10 min a day, than thats how long you work on it. Some days I only spend reading, others scrapbooking in my journal, and I'm ok with that because while I am being creative in my journals, I am still pondering all that I have learned and it allows the spirit more time to teach me. Personally, I usually spend maybe 30 min. on it at a time. If I have nothing going on I may spend longer.

      Delete
  8. Hi Aimee. Your journal is great!!! I do have a question. What if you have more information than space for information you've gleaned from a chapter? Would you go to a new page or glue in additional pages with the info on it?
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really just depends. If I am using a chapters template page I try to make it all fit on that page. If I am doing journaling type stuff I don't care how many pages I use. I will glue pages in usually only if its something from an outside source. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  9. I know because of copyright issues you can sell your journals but I would love to see your table of content page and character analysis, I'm new to the church and it would be easier for me to find out more about people if I even knew who was important I don't have people to explain verse by verse or character by character to me, if possible could u email me them? Quyana88@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Que,

      You can now purchase some of the templates (including the character analysis templates) at our store here: http://oneofakindgiftideas.blogspot.com/2008/05/one-of-kind-store.html
      I will email you the table of contents.

      Delete
  10. Hi Aimee. I am enamored by you pages and the detail that you have put into both the text and the design. I am a VERY visual learner and your dementianal jernoling has really inspired me to study more. I recently purchased your characture and historical jernol templets, while I to was inspired by the Red Headed Hostess jernols I decided to create my own so that I could tweak a few things. I was so thrilled to find your characture analysis pages since I have been leaning more toward the people of the scriptures in my topics jernol. I am going to be using your templet a lot, it was just what I was searching for! If you don't mind me asking I am amazed by your tree on the page about Eve and would like to create my own, could you tell me how you created it?
    Thank you so much for your inspiration! I hope to see more of your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The tree was actually a sticker that I bought at the craft store. Its been so long I don't remember the brand name of the sticker, but I got it at a store called Hobby Lobby. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. I was wondering where do you get your pictures from? like the one of Lehi on your character analysis?

    linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see all of my pictures on my pinterest scripture journal boards here: http://www.pinterest.com/aimeewhite/

      Delete
  12. Love the templates, how large are the pages, so I know what size journal to get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My journal is 7 X 10, but you should be able to adjust any templates you have to any size of journal you get through your printing software.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  13. I know this is an older thread, but I would LOVE to buy the template for the chapter scripture study (the one that has The Facts on the top left corner) I have navigated through your blog but can't seem to find the actual template for that one. Can you help me out?
    THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, I had to remove it because of copyright issues. Its very similar to the ones The Red Headed Hostess uses in her books, and although I made my own version, its still not okay for me to sell them. I wish I could. I put it up as a freebie but that turned out to still not be ok. So its up there for ideas only I guess. I did create a very different My Study Of Template that serves the same purpose that you can purchase in the store.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails