Monday, August 17, 2009

Sweet Dreams


I am working on a gift for my children for Christmas- little kits that they can use before bed for some quiet downtime. Sometimes it gets hectic, and with four children, having a strong bedtime ritual can really help us all unwind. Now that my children are all older, they don't sit on my lap to read a book anymore, but they still need the ritual. So I am making them PJS kits. The PJS stand for Prayers, Journal, and Scriptures. First you get a fun pillowcase, maybe with a cartoon character that they will like. To remind my children to say their prayers, I am giving them a smooth river rock to put on their pillow. The idea is, if they put the rock on their pillow when they make their bed, and then forget to say their prayers, they will bonk their head on the rock when they try to go to sleep. :) I am getting each of them a journal- it will just be a composition notebook, (they are so cheap and readily available now, since it is "back to school"), for them to write in their thoughts of the day. I am going to collage the front of each of them with something they will like. To go with the journal, I am on the look out for crazy fun pens, that light up or something, to make it fun to write. For scriptures they will each receive a tiny Book of Mormon, they cost $4 and fit in your pocket. You could do the same with a small Bible, or another book from your faith tradition. I am making each of them a dream pillow. A dream pillow is a small fabric sachet pillow that is filled with sweet smelling herbs. You put it in your pillowcase, and the movement while you sleep releases the fragrance. Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to relax. Some nice herbs to include would be Rose buds, lavender flowers, chamomile, mugwort, lemon verbena, mint, rosemary, and cloves. We have a family tradition of giving the children a new pair of pajamas and slippers for Christmas every year, so I am putting those in the pillow case as well. I am going to then tie the whole thing up with curly ribbon. Sweet dreams!
Picture by derbyqueen.com
If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to One of a Kind Gifts here!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! I love it! You are such a good Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love it! Thanks for sharing such a unique idea.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails